Armstrong's Point, defined by a tight bend in the Assiniboine River just west of downtown Winnipeg, was a constructed as a suburban enclave which sheltered some of the city's wealthiest residents. Between 1880 and 1920, a number of stately homes were built on Cornish Avenue and "The Gates" - East Gate, West Gate and Middle Gate.
The large stone gates, erected in 1902, from which the primary streets of the area derive their names, gave the neighbourhood an air of exclusivity and privilege. They served as an intimidating barrier to those who did not "belong," and the residents of the area enjoyed a sense of security, walled-off from the social disparities that existed in early twentieth century Winnipeg.
By 1920, most of the lots in the area had been developed, and Winnipeg's wealthy looked increasingly south of the River to Crescentwood.
Click here to see